Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lucky Number Seven

This was the surprise waiting for me at the front desk yesterday; beautiful flowers to mark the seven amazing years Brad and I have been together. I love the card he sent: "Roses are red, violets are blue, thanks for putting up with me the past seven years. I love Delilah...oh yeah, and you too!"

We continued our celebration that evening by going to Acacia Mid-Town, a restaurant we've both been wanting to try for quite some time. It just so happens that it's Restaurant Week in Richmond and Acacia's menu is featuring some pretty amazing options. For my appetizer I opted for the duck confit with potato gnocchi, fresh cranberries, local Swiss chard and pomegranate molasses. I've never had duck before and I wouldn't normally be drawn to it, but the other elements of the dish were what drew me in; it was simply delicious. Brad chose the crab fritters which were also very tasty. For the main course, I had the seared sea scallops with fresh pasta, local kale, golden raisins, leek flower, pecans and shrimp butter sauce, while Brad had rock fish with local broccoli puree, sautéed brussel sprouts, sunchokes, roasted pumpkin and red wine sauce. After trying the fresh pasta I don't think I ever want to eat boxed pasta ever again.

With two good dishes under our belts, Brad and I were both looking forward to dessert. I ordered the black forest cake with cherry sherbet while Brad opted for the apple ginger cake. Have you ever seen a cake plate after everyone has had a piece and there are just a few scraps left? That's exactly how my dessert looked, like they put together some of the leftover scraps of black forest cake and arranged them on a nice, fancy plate. The scraps definitely had a nice rich flavor but I would by no means call what I was presented a cake. Brad's apple ginger cake was equally tasty but as he put it, was the size of a postage stamp. Definitely not the way I would have hoped a delicious meal would have ended.

Despite our skimpy desserts, Brad and I had a great time together, like always. I look forward to 70 more years together with Brad, even if he thinks we won't live that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment