Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Five Minute Rant

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and there are a variety of campaigns out there promoting the observance. One campaign I find absolutely ridiculous is Facebook's "I Like It" campaign. Basically, women are supposed to update their Facebook status with something like, "I like it on a chair" or "I like it on the bed," referring to where they like to put their purse when they get home. How this has anything to do with breast cancer is beyond me but I can appreciate what Facebook or whoever organized this "stunt" is trying to do; get people curious about what the these strange statuses mean (your mom likes it on the radiator?!). And of course, since so many women on Facebook have been participating, the campaign has started to garner some media attention. Personally, I think the campaign is a waste of time. There's no connection between where a woman places her purse and her breasts, unless of course she likes to rest her purse on her breasts, but that's a discussion for another time. Seriously though, if you want to promote breast cancer awareness, encourage women to update their statuses with messages about performing self-breast exams or telling their mothers and grandmothers to get mammograms. Sure, the "I Like It" campaign is more fun, but it definitely cheapens the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment