Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday America!

I have very fond memories of July 4. Growing up in Caldwell, NJ (population about 7,500) my family and I always attended the fireworks celebration on the football field of the town's only high school, James Caldwell High School. Families would bring blankets and picnic baskets, the concession stands sold hot dogs and hamburgers, and high school kids trying to make a buck would sell glow sticks and bracelets. It was definitely a family event.

The one thing I always loved about fireworks at the high school (and appreciate more now that I'm older) is that it was the one thing the whole town did together. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who didn't go. Maybe it's a small town thing. Now, living in Richmond, there aren't many events that evoke that small town feel. While there is no shortage of events all around and in the city, you won't find a bunch of people gathered on the lawn of Godwin High School to watch fireworks. Maybe it doesn't matter where you go to watch fireworks but I'm thankful I had a place that has left me with such fond memories.

On a more serious note, thank you to all of those who have, who are and who will continue to fight for our freedom. Your service has not gone unnoticed.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment