Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thrill Capital of the Southeast

Brad and I spent the weekend in Greensboro, North Carolina with my sister Ariana and her boyfriend Kevin. Ariana lives in a cute little apartment on the north side of town, right down the street from who we think might be a Carolina Panther player - who else has a gate and gate code key pad and security cameras in their driveway?! Anyway, Ariana works for Sinclair Broadcasting and since one of their advertising clients is Carowinds, they offered employees free tickets to the park.

What's funny is that my sister really isn't in to roller coasters and they give Brad motion sickness, but they were both troopers and went on some of the rides. I prefer to ease into my roller coaster riding because I'm a bit of a baby about them sometimes, so we chose the Flying Ace Aerial Chase as our first ride. The Flying Ace is actually a kid's coaster despite it's 4 out of 5 thrill rating. Oh I forgot to mention, we met up with our friend Leah and her boyfriend Adam. Ariana and I have known Leah since we were in elementary school; our mom worked for her mom and our families have been friends ever since. It's been awhile since we've seen each other but just like any old friend, we picked up right where we left off like no time had passed in between.

Anyway, the line for the Aerial Chase wasn't long which was great because the heat was on, 90 degrees plus if you considered the heat index. The ride was actually pretty good for a mini coaster but it definitely jerked your head around more than I had anticipated. Thankfully neither Brad nor my sister got sick from it! After grabbing some much needed water and taking some pictures with Snoopy (see below), Kevin, Leah, Adam and I lined up for the Carolina Cyclone while Ariana and Brad went looking for sunglasses. The Cyclone was awesome but I whacked my head pretty hard on the overhead harness thing which did not feel good. Next up was the Hurler, a wooden coaster Ariana was really excited (and a little nervous) about. Since there is also a Hurler at Kings Dominion in Virginia, I knew what to expect (and it was fun!.

Leah, Ariana, Kevin and I met up with Brad and Adam after riding the Hurler and decided it was time to eat. As we started walking, Kevin told us he wasn't feeling well. Ariana and I, after waiting in line for at least 20 minutes, grabbed some Chick-fil-A and water and sat down in the shade to eat. Kevin, being the resourceful Eagle Scout that is he, took the Chick-fil-A bag and used it as a cold compress, pouring some of the ice from his water in to the bag and twisting it closed. A couple chicken nuggets and a few sips of water later and he was feeling much better.

After lunch, we rode the last two rides of the day - Ricochet and Carolina Goldrusher. It was actually Brad's idea to try out the Ricochet and I'm glad we did because it was a lot of fun. You sit in a car and go up, down and around on a track making you feel like you're going to fall off. They take your picture at the end and it was a great shot of Brad, Leah, Adam and I (Ariana and Kevin stayed in the shade for a bit longer) but I didn't feel like shelling out $10 to take it home. The last ride, Goldrusher, was awesome despite its deceptively cheesey train locomotive exterior.

I would have loved to ride the other great coasters at Carowinds but it was so hot after riding Goldrusher, we all decided it was time to call it a day. As we were leaving, we saw a girl wearing only a green and white bikini and a mom trying to remove a splinter or bee stinger from her daughters foot on the ground right in front of the women's restroom door. The people watching opportunities at Carowinds were top notch but I'll save that for another post. :)

Photos!

Ariana and I lovin' on Snoopy!














Brad and I as sexy beach-goers














Ariana, Brad, Kevin and I with some Peanuts characters

No comments:

Post a Comment