Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened in the Middle of a Rain Storm

Delilah is a Lab. A Lab mixed with something else, yes, but mostly Lab. She has webbed toes, short hair (that sheds a lot) and loves to go swimming -all typical Lab traits. Oddly enough though, Delilah hates the rain. Usually this means if she needs to go out, I'll open the door, she'll take a step out and then immediately run back inside. Sometimes, if she really has to go, she'll run outside, do her thing and then bolt back into the house. But today, tonight, something happened.

Let me give you a little background. This past weekend while I was tasting beers and cheering on the Hokies, Delilah was getting sick at home with Brad. When Brad and I got back from the airport on Sunday night, we found a mess in Delilah's crate. The next morning we woke up to another mess. When we took her to the vet, they gave her an anti-nausea shot and prescribed her some antibiotics that double as anti-diarrhea relief (a little TMI I know, I'm sorry!). Anyway, so now she's feeling better. She's not vomiting or making messes in the house or in her crate and her appetite has returned. However, because of the medicine, I've noticed she hasn't needed to go out as much after meals. Until tonight.

After eating about half of her dinner, which I had to coax her into doing by pouring in some olive oil, Delilah was sort of milling around the front door and looking at Brad and I, so I let her out. As she usually does when it rains, she walked out and walked right back in again. After a couple more rounds of this, I decided to grab the leash, thinking she'd get excited and maybe take care of business. The minute that leash was on, you would have thought it was a beautiful day. She ran down the front steps, down the driveway and then looked back at me as if to say, well c'mon! So here I am wearing black pants, a maroon jacket, walking a black dog in the middle of a rain storm in the dark of night and here's Delilah, happily trotting down the street. Even though it was dark, and she's not normally shy, she insisted on finding a dark, wooded spot to take care of business. After taking care of said business, Delilah once again trotted down the street, sniffing the grass as if was a beautiful fall evening. Brad was waiting for us with a towel when we returned and a few minutes later she was looking at the door again. But of course when I let her out, she pulled her usual stunt - she walked outside, looked around and came back inside. This went on a couple more times until I got fed up with her and made her lie down on her bed. Now she's asleep on the floor in front of Brad who is playing video games.

Ohhh Delilah.

No comments:

Post a Comment